Loading ...

Switching sports | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Area for Member Introductions

Switching sports

Subscribe to RSS
  • After many years of coaching cyclists, time commitments and a daughter's passion for her sport have drawn me into the rowing fold.

I've been appointed Youth Coordinator at the club. I'm comfortable organising people and making things happen but know next to nothing about rowing and would like to contribute more.

Any rowers out there? Tips and hints about where to go and what to do? I am in sponge mode!

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Jonathan,

Both sports are performed 'sitting', either individually or as a team, that's a start.

i combine indoor rowing with Sitting (Para) Volleyball, either for conditioning  as well as other elements  of the game , ie ball flight judgement/timing.......Good Luck, Tom

•   Answered

I'm an ex-rower, now coaching rowing to juniors. Good rowers make it look easy, but there's a good deal of technique to learn, though plenty of resources to use to help teach it. A strong core is essential as rowing is the only sport in which strong forces are applied through a 90 degree angle at the base of the spine. Flexibility, in the hips especially, is important to ensure optimal posture and positioning in the boat. As a cyclist you'll know about driving yourself past the point of exhaustion - so there are some similarities.

· Jonathan Abra likes this.

• Thanks Mark,

I haven't visited the site for a long time - just too busy. I have now taken my first tentative steps and am a British Rowing Level 2 Session Coach. All those things that you said have resonance and I am starting to enjoy it but by-heck it's a technical sport! Minutiae of body position making such a difference. Bringing a few things from cycling but mostly those organisational, motivational things that all coaches try for. 

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)