Loading ...

How creative are you? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching Top Tips » How creative are you?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Top Tips

How creative are you?

Subscribe to RSS
  • I am a coach and tutor and always look to develop creative sessions for my participants. I am keen to hear all the wonderfully innovative, left field ideas you have tried as a coach whether it was aimed at adults or young people? In particular I am interested in hearing about coaches who have used activities or ideas from other sports and transferred them to their own. I am a strong believer we need to be learning and exchanging ideas across sports more.

· Melanie Mallinson, Rob Maaye and 2 others like this.

•   Answered

I love this question. I a great believer that with all sports you can transfur all gaming Ideas. Not many will agree how ever I really dont care.  When you look at how long sports has been around and some coaches still sticking to the old boring session, not for me thanks. 3 years ago I was told by another coach that I make sessions too exciting and too much of a fun element and that I should be running athletes down to the ground. At the time I was working with 8 to 11 year olds this really did upset me however when I asked for feedback from parents and athletes they said it was great and they loved the fact that I made sessions fun exciting and athletes couldn't wait for the next session.  why not mix and match different sports.  MULTI SKILLS  all the way for both adults and children. 

· Liz Burkinshaw, Steve Green and 1 other like this.

• Emma I like your style. I might try playing completely different sports in some of my sessions. A bit of handball or netball to see how the athletes react. Keep things fresh and exciting.

· Emma Tomlinson and Sudhir B T like this.

• Yes, its very very important for me to give my students to play other sports which can give very good oppurtunity for the students to explore their higher potentialities. I m a football coach here in india, we play basketball, kho kho( true indian sport) and kabadi too. Fantastic responds from the students.

· Sion Kitson likes this.

• Each year I host 2-3 small sessions I call (XCode Coaching Forums) where 20-30 local coaches from across a number of sports & levels meet over a beer & wine (relaxed atmosphere) at a local nominated sports club. The object of these sessions are for coaches to network & chat about coaching & programs in an informal manner. I try & throw a couple of topics up for the night in which the general discussion can be based around.Through these sessions coaches have been really open with sharing activities, ideas & methods from within their own programs & coaching. We have all taken bits away from the sessions to assist within our own coaching. Through the networking a number of coaches have met up at later stages & discussed topics further & have even gone to look at each others training sessions to view how the other coach goes about their business.

From a personal opinion & from feedback from other coaches these sessions are great personal development opportunities & we don't nearly do enough of them. The key is the openess of coaches & the informal atmosphere. I know personally I have picked up some great ideas & methods from coaches of other sports in which I now incorporate into my own coaching.

I guess "Connected Coaches" is also trying to achieve this through the creation of this forum.

· Sion Kitson and Sudhir B T like this.

• On 15/07/16 3:44 AM, Steve Symonds said:

Each year I host 2-3 small sessions I call (XCode Coaching Forums) where 20-30 local coaches from across a number of sports & levels meet over a beer & wine (relaxed atmosphere) at a local nominated sports club. The object of these sessions are for coaches to network & chat about coaching & programs in an informal manner.

Hi Steve hope you are well. These sounds brilliant and it's the kind of thing we'd actually love to do over here long term with ConnectedCoaches.

On 15/07/16 3:44 AM, Steve Symonds said:

I guess "Connected Coaches" is also trying to achieve this through the creation of this forum.

Certainly is! laughing

Incidentally great discussion started Sion! Look forward to reading more replies

· Sion Kitson, Steve Symonds and 1 other like this.

• Lots of points to talk about here:

1. Great post and thread - pity some people hate innovation or rather become scared by something they can't measure.

2. I post on the England Hockey Hub - love the challenges they set and reading the solutions given. The height of my hockey coaching was U15E team (W1 L4).

3. Read the book Thanks for the Feedback by Stone and Heen. It will help you understand what you can learn from the creative process from the reactions of those involved.

4. Learn to play another sport - you become more aware of the coaching process from the other side again at a discipline you find difficult.

5. Be careful of over-icing - be creative and fun while still keeping the fundamentals at the core of your sessions. Perhaps that's the toughest part of being creative. 

6. Be yourself - I remember the painful efforts Prime Minister Gordon Brown made to smile more. Grow your creative streak, don't jump into it. Be slightly uncomfortable, not out of your depth.

• Steve this is a fantastic idea. Funnily enough we have a small group of local coaches that are innovative and forward thinking. I might be stealing this brilliant idea. The beer and wine will sure to see the creative juices flowing.

· Steve Symonds likes this.

• You are talking my language! I am a bowls coach and tutor and have (slowly) been introducing different activiites into coaching sessions. These have had mixed receptions from other coaches but, having "persuaded" them to go along with me and give it a trial, even the toughest objector came round with a "I wouldn't do it myself, but I can see it worked" after the last session with 40 beginners. By setting up a series of games with scores for achieving specific tasks, the competitive instincts kicked in! The games all have a basis in basic bowls techniques but, by setting an objective (eg to get a bowl through a low hurdle), the emphasis is taken away from the technique used. This particular exercise has two main results : the beginner stops worrying about stance and delivery and RELAXES as they focus on the objective, and instinctively adopts a lower delivery (essential) to achieve the result.

I have now produced a manual of games for the coaches, indexed by standard of player/skill objective/group or individual/etc and other coaches are contributing ideas for the manual. So far, we have "invented" several games using bowls, but disguised as football (penalty shoot-out), snooker, golf, noughts and crosses, shuv ha'penny, skittles ...

Most of the games can have the "rules" modified to increase the level of difficulty, so have been used as a one-off session both for beginners and for team-building, and for all age groups. They are also very useful for visiting groups of novices who just want a fun session for a couple of hours. Many of them come back later for the "real" thing!

I now include a "invent a game" session in my tutoring of new coaches at both level 1 and 2, as this makes them concentrate on ways in which they can develop a specific skill without (sometimes tedious) hours of repeated practice.

The use of games does not replace the day-to-day coaching, but is a useful additional tool.

· Liz Burkinshaw and Sion Kitson like this.

• On 15/07/16 9:43 AM, Anthea Dore said:

You are talking my language!

Firstly I have to echo this sentiment. Enjoyed reading this one Anthea. I love the disguise element and seeing how that then impacts their overall bowls development. Nice to see the tutor example for new coaches as well. I am sure it begins to build creativity within them as the norm.

• A surprising spin-off has been the interest shown by our elite bowlers. Bowls does not have a history of using coaches at high levels (they must exist, but are never mentioned, unlike other sports) and it is difficult to get the top-level club players to take advantage of what a club coach can provide in the way of help - the stock reply being "you don't play at my level, so won't understand". It has been a slow process - introducing video anlaysis, etc, to show what we can offer. However, the snooker and golf games have caught their imagination - it needs serious skill to get a big score! I just laid the games out on the green and stood back and waited ...

It has now been suggested I help run a games day for the top teams - they have even worked out a way of incorporating betting! Whatever it takes, I am happy!

· Liz Burkinshaw likes this.

• Sion, I use many different sorts for athletics session, handball for throwing,  running jumping,  balance coordination.

basketball for high jump is also a good sport,to gain height, jumping and footwork etc. 

I have used kick ball rounders for as part of a football session. 

You can use a multitude of sports and incorporate into any session. 

• Great question Sion! 

I get creative ideas, games and activities from my previous work in outdoor education ( good old PGL style five minute fillers!), playground games books, other cultures games, multiskills/Games Sense and more commonly viewed activities like frisbee/treasure hunt/wide games. 

I get inspired by lots of places - the pound shop, drinking games (ahem..) my little boys toys... 

• Traditional Indigenous Games - Ausport Website

An example of the kinds of info I find online that helps me be creative 

· Emma Tomlinson and Sion Kitson like this.

• Thanks for the link Liz. I have some ideas already ...

• Page 1 of 1 (15 items)