Loading ...

Post degree options | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Post degree options

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hi All,

I've been asked to assist at a university careers fair, offering guidance to students that are nearing the end of their coaching related undergraduate degree as to what their next steps should be to get into a career in coaching. Most will already be active coaches (usually with children), and previous experience tells me that the majority will be under the impression that they'll walk straight out of their degree and into a full time coaching position (I'm not saying they won't or shouldn't aspire to, but I'd like to be realistic with them too).

I have an outline for my approach, but I'm curious as to what other people think would be the 3 key things I should try to get across in about 3 minutes. Over to you...

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

• Three key messages:

1. you are not a coach (yet), you are (soon to be) a coaching graduate
    2. don’t turn your nose up at “coaching kids” - you will learn a lot by working with athletes who are also learning
    3. keep learning

• Hi Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's not too far from what I had planned, nice to know I'm thinking along the right lines.

Dave

• In an effort to play devils advocate here, don't forget to include post grad options. 

· Dave Bright likes this.

• 1.  You will always love sharing/coaching. Being is paid is a bonus but not a right. If you expect that don't stay in the UK

2.  Find another string to your bow; ie: sports massage, PT, after-school clubs

3. Believe your dream is possible. Don't expect it to come to you. Go make it possible with  time, learning and persistence 

• Thank you for the various replies folks, it's nice to have some thoughts confirmed and some points I wouldn't have thought of.

Much appreciated.

• Remind them that volunteering is probably how they began their coaching journey, and will still be the way that they gain most of their experience as a coach. And that that is okay!

· Andrew Beaven and Dave Bright like this.

• agree with the other posts, but would add

• that you can develop your career by volunteering and it will often open the door into more prestigious coaching roles (note I don't say better roles though).
    • Coach a wide variety of groups, adults, return to sports "back to" groups and young children, after school clubs, this will expose you to all the challenges coaching offers with a wide range of participants, levels of capability and more importantly participant motivation. 
    • Keep a coaching diary and get feedback from participants, the title coach can be a learning dead end to some who then only see their own coaching and plateau
    • go watch other coaches, you can get exposure to higher levels of coaching by doing this

you will get the paid jobs by developing your reputation and breadth of coaching experience

· Andrew Beaven and Dave Bright like this.

• Hi Dave

It's great that you're helping the next generation along.  All I can add to the previous suggestions is to get them thinking about what transferable skills they've acquired (psychology? management?) and where else these could be applied - without going miles off sports coaching unless they particularly want to, of course. And as someone else alluded to - keep learning. What areas did their degree course miss or cover only partially?

Hilary

• Page 1 of 1 (9 items)