Loading ...

What one book has influenced you most as a coach? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Continuing Professional Development (CPD) » What one book has influenced you most as a coach?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

What one book has influenced you most as a coach?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Wow! There are so many great titles here. I have a very long shopping list now.  One of my favourites is The Talent Code but I have a stack of summer reading to go through.  Can anyone put them in priority order for me?  They are......"Beyond Winning", "Peak: Secrets From The New Science of Expertise", "The Teammates", "Playing To Win", "Top Dog", "The Way of The Champion".

Thanks for all of the title suggestions.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• I read a few autobiography's, coaching books and training course materials which can all be inspirational and change what I do however, Its not actually a book that I think has made the single simple difference to how I approach training . But it is "Train Ugly Block v Random (http://trainugly.com/portfolio/block-random-practice/). Reason being is that there is lots of articles on coaching, drills, player centred, but this seemed to hit things in a slightly different for me.

· Rob Maaye and Elly Moore like this.

• On 19/05/17 9:17 AM, Jason Eady said:

Train Ugly Block v Random (http://trainugly.com/portfolio/block-random-practice/). Reason being is that there is lots of articles on coaching, drills, player centred, but this seemed to hit things in a slightly different for me.

Train Ugly is a great site that Trevor runs! We've shared lots of his videos on ConnectedCoaches including the Block v Random Practice: Read, Plan, Do that you mention Jason. If you search this site for Trevor Ragan you'll find some of the other videos shared on here. But I would definitely recommend any others reading this thread check out his website as it's excellent. I know other members like  Elly Moore Andy Edwards are big fans as well and would also recommend it!

· Andy Edwards and Elly Moore like this.

• I would have to say Bounce by Matthew Syed - gave great insight into how we can improve our ability to motivate students/athletes without dismissing their "lack of talent" or perceived abilities.

I'm currently coaching rugby in Canada & you can see how the lack of exposure to the sport early on influences the players intuition & reading of the game (with some exceptions). It enables me to maintain perspective & not get frustrated when concepts aren't fully understood in the time frame that I would consider "normal" or acceptable coming from the UK.

· Rob Maaye, Gary Brannan and 1 other like this.

• Perfect Practice by Doug Lemov. This book is utterly brilliant, changed my whole view.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• The Inside Out Revolution - Michael Neill

• Zen and the Art of Archery

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Yes ... LOVE Trevor Ragan's Train Ugly approach.

Recent engaging reads include: 'Black Box Thinking' (Matthew Syed) and 'Top Dog: the science of winning & losing' (Bronson & Merryman).

Currently reading 'The Sports Gene' (Epstein).

Next on the list is to re-read 'Bounce' (Syed); and then I'll take a look at some of the other CC recommendations laughing

· Rob Maaye and Kiran Raichura like this.

• A few that i have found beneficial are black box thinking by Syed ,5 steps to a winning mindset Damien Hughes ,The pressure Principle Dave Aldred but as said before Legacy by james Kerr is the one I keep going back to.

I am a suscriber to train ugly highly recommend it 

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• I found successful coaching 3rd edition Rainer martens very useful as a basic all around coaching tool , and sports psychology concepts and applications fifth edition Richard h cox also very constructive and helpful , these deal with a broad spectrum of coaching issues and are easily understood 

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• I'd recommend "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle.

Very interesting book which looks at the way in which people are firstly engaged to want to try something and then driven to want to do well at it.

Coupled with the biological way in which the brain learns skills this is very much worth a read.

· Rob Maaye and Jason Eady like this.

• Hi Steve,

Chimp Paradox is the book that really raised self awareness about thoughts and emotional thinking, this of course had positive impact on me as a coach and how I relate to others but also enabled me to be better attuned to others.

The Pressure Principle by Dr Dave Aldred is a brilliant book in my opinion. It discusses the notion of 'pressure', how it can manifest, the impacts of pressure and ways of managing it. Again can help provide very useful insight into yourself.

A book I am reading just now is.. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. The book gives attention to judgement and decision making, how it materializes and how our experiences impact on our judgments and decisions we make as coaches... 

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• I liked Alex Ferguson's book - definitely worth a read, but I'm probably with the Steve Peters crowd as the most influencial book I've read. That and The Complete Middle Distance Runner by Frank Horwill and co.. 

• Hi John - which one of Alex Ferguson's? "Leading", "Will to Win" or his autobiography? Thanks, Barb

• "Leading", I haven't read his other books.

· Barb Augustin likes this.

• Dave MacCleod's '8 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes' - it's a distillation of all the myriad things rock climbers try in training in order to improve their climbing and it's THE THINGS THAT WORK, so time poor people who work and want to improve don't waste valuable time trying stuff that doesn't have such good outcomes.

Also, Make or Break by the same author, the Holy Grail of injury prevention.

• Black Box Thinking and Top Dog (not sure I've finished that actually!) are both full of really useful insights and stories.

Really felt like I've gained a lot of knowledge from them.

• Great post Steve, 

I have 3...

The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle - the section on master coaching has so much gold within it! 

The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin - his description of becoming totally engrossed and absorbed in learning is soectacular! 

Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov - although this is aimed at teachers and is based on the classroom the techniques that are shared in the book work for anyone concerned with learning and development. 

Hope these help 

Stuart 

• 'Coaching Better Every Season' by Wade Gilbert. This one has hit me fairly recently, for Head or Lead Coaches it's fantastic. It is utterly comprehensive, it covers setting culture and mindset, through practice planning, through competition and to post-season review. It has lots of relatable references to successful teams in many sports, I am thoroughly enjoying reading it. Recommended!

• Just finished a book of immense standing . "No hunger in paradise " by Michael Calvin.Not only is it packed with great coaching philosophies and practices ,it also highlights the dark side that football clubs use to manipulate aspiring kids and gullible/greedy parents. eye-opener. must for all coaches and parents of all sports

Glenn Sweeney