Loading ...

Funding & Coaching Education | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Continuing Professional Development (CPD) » Funding & Coaching Education
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Funding & Coaching Education

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hello Everyone...

Although I started coaching at quite a young age, and I am still relatively new to coaching when compared to a lot of you (I presume), I know there will still be a lot of individuals in the same shoes as me. This is why I'm glad a resource like this is finally out there for coaches keen for guidance!

Although I agree coaching is an art, and what we bring to a session as an individual that counts heavily, I stand by the fact it is key to also bring a broad base of knowledge to the table. As an aspiring sprints coach, studying sports at university I know how beneficial drills, knowledge and skills taught in other sports can be for my athletes. I know personally, I'd love to encorporate core skills taught in Gymnastics as well conditioning and multiskill drills taught in the likes of American Football into my Athletics coaching. The issue arises when I come to realise, I have severely limited knowledge of how these sports are coached!

Another issue that arises at my age and goes hand-in-hand with being a student is the lack of free funds to spend on coaching courses. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread in which everyone could share their funding experiences and thoughts.

These could be things such as direct contact with teams and businesses, funding schemes, funding through contacts, how to go about seeking funding and the best sources of funding.

Jonathan Benjamin - Athletics Coach & Uni Student

Feel free to add me as a friend

· Wayne Smith likes this.

• On 15/04/16 2:35 PM, Jonathan Benjamin said:

Another issue that arises at my age and goes hand-in-hand with being a student is the lack of free funds to spend on coaching courses. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread in which everyone could share their funding experiences and thoughts.

Hi Jonathan

Welcome to the ConnectedCoaches community…great first post!

I thought I would send you a few links (hopefully helpful) in case you weren’t aware of them.

sports coach UK puts together (with the England Coaching Network, Governing Bodies of Sport and the Home Country Sports Councils) a ‘Funding Opportunities for Coaching in the UK’ guide, which provides details about funding available to support coaches. You can download it here https://www.sportscoachuk.org/resource/funding-opportunities-coaching-guide

There is also a dedicated funding twitter account you can follow @scUKCoachFund https://twitter.com/scukcoachfund

Look forward to reading the replies you get. Hopefully a few members will share their experiences/thoughts with you.

Have a great weekend!

Rob

· Jonathan Benjamin likes this.

• Hi Jonathan

i am new to this forum and I think it is a great tool also!

i just read your post and it is a really good topic. I am a Level 3 England Boxing Coach I have sourced my coach funding through my local sports partnerships. I am based in Kent so Kent Sport were my CSP. Where are you based? They will have a CSP and there should be a coach development officer there to help you.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Regards

Wayne

· Rob Maaye and Jonathan Benjamin like this.

• Hello Wayne,

That's something I'll definitely be looking into, I'm based in Birmingham, I've already looked through some of the funding available for the area in the guide on sports coach UK. I haven't considered contacting the coach development officer and I'm not even sure who is our officer at this moment so will be looking that up.

Definitely sounds like a good place to start, cheers for the advice it's appreciated!

Thank you

Jonathan

· Wayne Smith likes this.

• No problem

• Just thought I would add to this funding thread that Sport England have added a new funding page to their website where you'll find live information about their new funding opportunities, including the key dates you need to know.

They explain when funding will become available and when you can download detailed information about how you can apply for funding etc so it might be worth bookmarking as well https://www.sportengland.org/newfunding/

• Hey Jonathan

I've always found that the most cost effective courses are ones run by universities/colleges rather than the commercial enterprise's.  Be sure to have a look and see what is being offered by unis and colleges as well as speaking with your NGB and finding out what unadvertised courses may be available

Michelle

PS  coaching is both and art and a science, don't get fixated on one ;)

• Any Coach whatever their sport in the London area can apply for funding through their club who will look to secure funding from London Mayors legacy scheme, That is promised Olympic legacy.

Its not guaranteed but something to look into.

• Page 1 of 1 (8 items)