Loading ...

Nutrition cpd | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Nutrition cpd

Subscribe to RSS
  • i have recently finished my Triathlon level 3 coaching qualification and one of the objectives I have set myself is to do some more in depth work on nutrition and sports nutrition. 

Does anyone one know of any courses coming up that they would recommend, and secondly any good books I can start off with?

Many thanks 

• Hi Kate,

Nutrition is a very hot topic at the moment and one I would encourage anyone with the passion to study more to take up. In terms of courses it depends on what your end goal is? If you want to prescribe diets then you would need to look at a formal training programmes that provides the competence for this, generally the majority of lower level or vocational qualifications allow you to advise on nutrition, see REPS statement here, http://www.exerciseregister.org/1595-nutritional-advice-reps-official-statement 

A know a few coaches that recommend Ben Combers course if you are looking something in depth, I think it is a little expensive but I have been told very informative.

We run level 3 qualifications for fitness professionals that are aimed at sounds personal knowledge for an advisory role as a coach/exercise professional. These are normally run all over UK but some awarding set pre-req of fitness qualifications that restricts sports coaches getting into the courses, it's an ongoing issue we have, but typical allied sectors feeling one is more important over the other preventing effective CPD taking place. 

· Kate Offord likes this.

• Hi Jason

Thanks, yes it is a big area and hit topic. I just want to be able to talk in more detail with my athletes in an advisory role, not prescribe. 

Will look up Ben Comber

Thanks!

· Alasdair Jones likes this.

• Hi Kate, we are currently designing an advisory leaflet 'fueling the athlete' for basic nutrition, mainly aimed at the young athlete. As soon as we finish this resource will be happy to share...

· Kate Offord and Julia Baldwin like this.

• Jason

That would be really useful information for many of us - I look forward to seeing the leaflet.

• Hi Kate

Hope you are well.

I remembered this thread and just thought you’d be interested to know that Blake just posted a blog where he has interviewed the English Institute of Sport Head of Performance Nutrition Mike Naylor. There are some links at the end of the blog that you might find useful as well. Here’s a link to the blog Golden nuggets: Dietary advice you can trust from Team GB’s Head Nutritionist

Cheers

Rob

· Kate Offord likes this.

• Thank you Rob - well remembered! 

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (7 items)