Loading ...

What‘s something that seems obvious to you as a coach, but the public seems to misunderstand? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » What‘s something that seems obvious to you as a coach, but the public seems to misunderstand?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

What‘s something that seems obvious to you as a coach, but the public seems to misunderstand?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

Hi All

I’ve had many a debate during the World Cup but one particularly ‘fierce’ conversation centred around Gareth Southgate resting players against Belgium in the group phase.

At the time it seemed to split the nation with half falling into the play your best team to win and keep momentum camp, the other half seeing the benefits of getting all the squad to feel part of the tournament in a relatively non-pressured game with the potential to find ourselves in the “kind” part of the draw should we not win (for the record I was firmly in this camp!).

To Southgate it will have seemed the obvious thing to do for a whole number of reasons but the public seemed very split.

His decision has obviously been vindicated now but it got me thinking…

What‘s something that seems obvious to you as a coach, but the general public, parents or whoever seems to misunderstand?

As always look forward to reading your replies

• anfy

The area I had most difficulty with was the use of "fun" activities for Juniors and beginners. Onlookers could not see the point of apparently random "games" on the bowling green when they felt "all" people had to do was learn to bowl properly.

I use the tense "had" because I fixed the problem by setting up an evening of activities for all club members (ie those who feel they don't need any coaching!). OK, I tweaked the games to increase the level of difficulty, but the penny dropped! When they were faced with having to use all their skills to play snooker, noughts and crosses, golf, etc with a set of bowls, they realised just what they were being tested on. Needless to say, a great time was had by all and a little surreptitious side-betting increased the challenge!

This is now set to be a regular event, and members are even coming forward with their own suggestions/modifications for the next evening.

Win-win all round.

· Rob Maaye and Andrew Beaven like this.

• The fundamental role of the coach is misunderstood - the public sees the coach as the ‘gaffer’, the fount of all knowledge; they perceive a coach/manager who cedes decision making powers to the group as weak.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)