Loading ...

What would you do? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » What would you do?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

What would you do?

Subscribe to RSS
  • While this is a story about a coach of young kids, it is a situation that is not age specific. 

It also only gives the one side, but that aside, what would you have done in this case?

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/volunteer-youth-coach-fired-for-making-boy-run-laps-after-he-bullied-teammate

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• As a Triathlon coach I don't coach teams other than I suppose when in the swimming pool you could say (but also kids and adults train together..).  I do have a view on this though: When you warn / berate everyone in the team about bullying or just generally messing about when they should be listening -  and then one of those athletes / team members persists, you have to do something.  Doing a few laps I would say is the minimum(!).  You don't need training or a course to understand that.  I'd say that coach is better off out of it.  Find a team that values his coaching and common sense.

· Steve Symonds and Ralph Samwell like this.

• Wow corporal punishment. I have never in my years of coaching ever done this as I feel there's other ways of controlling these situations. I have however I have seen many teacher during pe lesson do this due to children not listening. I personally would talk to parents from both parties and explain the situation.

Lets change the age to adults, players having a fight due to a team member missing a goal, one team player takes it up on themselves to go further and start bullying the guy who didn't score would you make the adult run around the field a few time's because he's being a bully? I'm sure the adult would give you a few choice words.  What is the difference between an adult bullying to a child bullying?  You have a better chance of changing the mindset of a child but making run a few laps is punishment aren't you as the coach now a bully for punishing the child! 

Lets see others views. 

• What constitutes bullying? The competitive nature of sport makes it an ideal environment for the bully to operate. A lot of coaches assume they need to be on the look-out for peer on peer bullying without perhaps considering that they too need to be careful they don't overstep the mark. I delve deeper into the subject in this blog...

https://www.connectedcoaches.org/spaces/17/coaching-children-ages-5-12/blogs/press-release/174/beating-the-bullies-a-crash-course-for-coaches

National Bullying Week is 14-18 November and we will be sharing a ConnectedCoaches infographic next week to mark this containing advice for coaches on how to spot bullying in their sessions.

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)