Loading ...

different approaches to player "mistakes" | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » different approaches to player "mistakes"
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

different approaches to player "mistakes"

Subscribe to RSS
  • http://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/a-lesson-in-leadership-2-football-coaches-2-player-mistakes-and-2-very-different.html

2 very different approaches by head coaches to "mistakes" by players that I thought I would stick up here as a nice contrast piece. 

Arians is known for being more "old school", while Carroll is known very much as a player's coach. I certainly know which one I would like to play for!

• Haha it’s not even a debate is it Simon?! I’ve always had a great deal of sympathy for NFL kickers and the way they are perceived by the “NFL industry”. I’m not sure if the difficulty of performing their skill at the really high pressure moments of games is truly appreciated (unless you are Adam Vinatieri!). I know Bruce Arians is an old school kind of coach but I wonder if that would have been his reaction if Larry Fitzgerald had dropped a catch to win the Cardinals the game or David Johnson was held up on the 1 yard line?

• Yes, there is still very much a sense of "you are just the kicker" in the game - not helped by the perception of special teams in general. Its getting better but still perceived in a bad light overall...

...But before I go on a Special Teams rant (I have a FaceBook group for that!!), from a playing perspective, I think that it is one of the hardest positions to play. Essentially stood there the entire game and then called upon in the dying seconds to make a kick that is make or break. Make it, well you are expected to. Miss it and you have let everyone down as "that was your one job!"

It is an unique position I think in sport. I am trying to think of something similar elsewhere...Possibly a substitute coming on at the end of overtime in a soccer game specifically to be a penalty taker? Would any other sport have something similar? 

From a coaching point of view the kickers are often separated from the rest of the team during practices to go and do their own things. This possibly adds to the sense of separation and makes them easier targets when things go wrong. Everyone sees the work that Larry puts in through training and the game. Not everyone sees that work that the kickers do.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)