Loading ...

How do you deal with Risk? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » How do you deal with Risk?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

How do you deal with Risk?

Subscribe to RSS
  • As a certified member of IOSH (institute of occupational safety and health) a coach education tutor for my NGB, and a level 3 triathlon coach, I have recently been involved in discussing; 'risk in sport' and how it affects coaches, clubs, race organisers, race directors, and more. 

An interesting question was asked!

Standard risk assessments are good but a far cry away from IOSH risk assessments. IOSH is more business orientated but is there a benefit, especially legally to offer a more comprehensive RA?

I'd be interested to hear your views on the subject and which sport you represent. 

· Rob Maaye and Nicole Booth like this.

• ATHLETICS Al coaches at the club are obliged to take a health an safety workshop.It i than up toth coacho do risk assesment athlete/equipment/area, other groups etc, I would welcome a legally biding risk assessment done by Professional. Of course nothing can be totally risk free

• Thanks Ian,

It's always good to gauge other sports take on risk and how they go about reviewing risk and implementing controls. 

I've had  a number of conversations about the use of professional bodies carrying out or assisting in implementing RA. 

Will be interested to see what others think. 

• Hello I am just setting up an Olympic weightlifting club (British weightlifting) and doing all the risk assessments etc. I have found myself putting more in than what the standard sports coaching template would be, partly out of fear of the worst and also from having to do risk assessments in commercial settings in the UK and Europe.

The differences between companies is very different too. What things do you find are missing or overlooked?
    For my sport it's most likely the age of equipment/usage (in my experience, depending on the centre that the sessions are happening in, it can be ignored or seen as not important).

• Hi Nicole,

Thanks for responding and good luck with your venture. 

I find that most NGBs have generic risk assessment docs which are useful but unless you implement the correct control measures and ensure they are enforced then they are about as useful as a scrap of paper. 

Take slips trips and falls for instance! In the swimming pool environment you are chastised if you run on the pool deck and rightly so, yet many pools leave what I term pool toys (floats/pull buoys etc) and equipment lying around which is as much a hazard and likely to cause harm. 

So as you will see, staff in these situations generally enforce the rules when they see a breaking of the rules, they don't always seem to understand that some risks are hidden.

The clearing away of equipment, the regular checks of PH levels in the pool, checking of changing areas for clean floors and benches, doors closed correctly, cleaning materials stored correctly etc. 

Staff/coaches/volunteers etc need to understand that a risk assessment is ongoing and they need to continually be carrying out dynamic risk assessments. 

Proper training of staff/coaches/volunteers etc is paramount and needs to be addressed on a regular basis. 

There's no harm in highlighting more potential risks no matter how small it may seem, like you Nicole I always err on the side of caution and I always ensure my coaching team are aware of all the risks to them the athletes and the public. 

Merry Christmas

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)