Loading ...

Creating an effective coaching feedback loop | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Creating an effective coaching feedback loop
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Creating an effective coaching feedback loop

Subscribe to RSS
  • The coaching relationship is a two way process where the player or team have the opportunity to shape the training. It is clearly demonstrated that when a coach is at logger heads with a team or player then results suffer.

I would be interested to explore how we can create effective feedback loops where players feel free to share ideas or concerns. Clearly it starts with building effective relationships with players but ow can we adapt our coaching style to encourage dialogue.

From my own sport tennis it can often be difficult for coaches to be close to their players if they are feeding from the other end of the court. At a performance level it is possible to have multiple coaches on court but this is not practical for most.

One way to improve the situation is to employ new innovations such as the Billie Jean King Eye Coach which allows the coach to be close to the player and deliver technical instruction.

Take a look at: www.howtoplaytennis.net

I would be interested to hear about innovations in other sports.

· Chris Motley likes this.

Attachments
  • I am a swim coach so I understand the issue of creating a feedback loop with my swimmers due to them being in the water and there are some 15-30 in the water. However, I explain and agree with them arm and hand signals which they often give suggestions on works best for them. I don't like to constantly shout instructions so i explain the workout, what it's for and how we are going to do it. I then ask for understanding. If there is a misunderstanding it is then, more often, other swimmers will explain which helps the giver and the receiver; and me for using the right words or language that suits. I often make words up which they find funny, but they remember them and so are impactful; it's great when they start to use them. 

Technology wise I use the Hudl Technique app on my Iphone & Ipad on which I can give them instant video analysis in full motion speed, or various slow motions, reverse or stills. if they are children under 18 this will have been agreed with their parents before hand. I also ask the parents to download the app so I can immediately share with them and write a brief. 

With my better age group swimmers I use Evernote with each swimmer having their own folder. Within that folder I will share the swim workout writing any improvements, requests and goals. The swimmer can give their own feedback within it thus not only creating a feedback loop but a living document; as I/we may later remember feedback not given at the time. 

I am believer in talking and encourage all swimmers to talk myself and each other about experiences, technique and how they feel about it. As soon as we walk on poolside a conversation will start about what we are going to be doing. So they are thinking before I give the workout brief.

I hope this is useful.

· Rob Maaye and Chris Motley like this.

• Being a firm believer in implicit learning, the top  iPad apps, I have used in skill development and providing visual feedback loops are:

a. HUdhl, which has already being described. Used in conjunction with Apple TV and mirroring prior to session, provides picture for player. Clips played and observed with minimal coach intervention. However, level of intervention is dependent on player experience, knowledge and environment. Great tool for techniques comparison etc.

b. Video Delay apps, realtime feedback loop. I have used it for weightlifting techniques and football skills. Basically, player performs skill, then watches his execution thanks to a delay on the video. Has ability to replay. Excellent for deliberate practice sessions.

c. Remote feedback loop. Perhaps Ustream, FaceTime. I am sure there are better apps than these. Player executes skill at location while watched by coach remotely. Facility for coach to give real time feedback and assistance.

Would appreciate other suggestions for coaching remotely in realtime.

d. YouTube coaching channel. Player conducts session and uploads it. Feedback from coach. Videos can be kept private etc. Could use Microsoft one drive or drop box as well to share video.

Any others used?

· Barb Augustin and Chris Motley like this.

• This is a huge thing in teaching which I have developed into my coaching- once given " feedback" to an athlete or team. (This would depend on what level they are at) you give them time to feed forwards and then implement something called DIRT -direct independent reflection time. 

This is time to work on developing the aspects they need to improve, this can be done in many ways. However the one I use is setting up a you tube channel and then using video Ant where you can talk over the top. This means you can talk the thought process whilst watching, but also the players can also use video ant and talk it through back to you.

· Chris Motley likes this.

• Have you looked at the remote coaching packages offered by PIXIO? 

www.movensee.com 

• Good question. I have found that the point at which feedback is given is the most important thing. Can you get to a point in your session where the challenge you have set them is the trigger for them asking questions rather than you giving feedback when you think it is needed. 

I find this gives the athlete the control and it drives the learning more effectively.

• Page 1 of 1 (6 items)