Loading ...

Piercings..... | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Piercings.....
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Piercings.....

Subscribe to RSS
  • I would welcome your opinions, please. I have recently been asked to coach an adult with a lip piercing. I was hesitant to allow the adult to take part in the session and the person refused to remove the piercing. Advice has been sought from our 'governing body' and they say ' we can only highly recommend that the piercing is removed, if participant refuses then make a note on the risk assessment accordingly'.   My trustees have ok'd this too. I am still uncomfortable with the situation but will go ahead, as the participant has had the risks and our concerns explained and is willing to take the chance.... 

· Percy Hutchful likes this.

• If they are adult then sadly there is nothing you can do other than recommend 

As long as you have identified the risk then its up to them if they decide to take it . The only recourse you have is that if you deem it to be a risk to other participants . On those grounds you can ban the person from taking part or insist that they remove the piercing ....Very frustrating situation !

• Hi Diane, 

If the participant is an adult, then I think there is very little that you can do. Can you not get them to sign something to say that they will keep the piercing in at their own risk? Then at least you have yourself covered, along with the risk assessment?

• sadly you cannot absolve responsibility by the participant saying anything

ultimately if a third party gets hurt YOU as the coach are responsible ...please remember that

• Dependant on sport, especially contact sports piercing are dangerous not on;t to other participants but to the particular athlete.

EG it could be pulled off in a scrum and bleed risking infection and anything else (other viruses) that might be in the blood, that could be passed on to first aiders.

If you make this aware to the athlete, be polite about "Remove piercing(s) and cover hole with a simple plaster" they are all the more likely to take it out. without having you mentioning it again.

Non compliance ...... I'm sure the NGB will be very interested!

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)