Loading ...

Celebrating and adapting: How do your athletes celebrate when they achieve something? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Celebrating and adapting: How do your athletes celebrate when they achieve something?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Celebrating and adapting: How do your athletes celebrate when they achieve something?

Subscribe to RSS
  • After going through the long process of setting up a sports club for our local village and surrounding villages I feel I might be achieving one of my goals which was to get children away from the TV, Console, phones just for a few hours a day, I achieved this in one day 

Observing the children during the session I noticed how children celebrated when winning a game,  whether it was a high five, a cartwheel,  slide along the floor they too felt like they had achieved something.  

A couple of the children my 7yr old  son included was really struggling to play badminton try as they may to hit the shuttlecock.  I changed tactics by changing the bats to a tennis racket crazy as this might sound it actually worked making the batting surface area bigger to give them a better chance of hitting the shuttlecock. 

After 3 days with the tennis racket we reverted back to the badminton racket,  they missed a couple of time with a few more attempts they all had the hang of it. Very proud of themselves they all celebrated one way or another,  my son celebrated by Beat boxing which made us all laugh.  

Without adapting do you think the athlete would have celebrated.   

How do your athletes celebrate when they achieved something? 

Do you treat your athletes after a competition. If yes what do you do?

How do you adapted to help athletes achieve there goal.?

· Ralph Samwell likes this.

• Upon victory, an athlete's initial and instinctive reaction is one that displays dominance over his or her opponent.

Such body language, known as a "dominance threat display" and labeled as "triumph" in other studies, was observed in winners of Olympic and Paralympic judo matches. It appears to be innate and stems from an evolutionary need to establish order and hierarchy in society.

Athlete's culture affects the intensity with which he or she displays this body language. "Cultures that are more status oriented have individuals who produce these behaviors more than individuals who come from cultures that are more egalitarian.

"It is a very quick, immediate, universal expression that is produced by many different people, in many cultures, immediately after winning their combat," Matsumoto said. "Many animals seem to have a dominant threat display that involves making their body look larger."

"If you're in a meeting, the person sitting in the 'power chair' is going to be more erect and look taller, they're going to use a strong voice, they're going to use hand gestures that signify dominance," he said. "If there's conflict, the person who yells the most or is the most stern will be seen as the leader. It establishes the hierarchy in that context."

Hyisung C. Hwang, David Matsumoto. Dominance threat display for victory and achievement in competition context. Motivation and Emotion, 2014; DOI: 10.1007/s11031-013-9390-1

· Emma Tomlinson likes this.

• On 16/08/15 10:18 AM, Emma Tomlinson said:

play badminton try as they may to hit the shuttlecock.

also try changing the shuttle to a balloon, it slows it down so they can learn the timing, or tie the shuttle to a string and hang from a stick.

· Emma Tomlinson likes this.

• Thanks for those idea's Ralph. I did end up using a tennis bat this also helped as it has a much bigger area on the bat. I will however try those idea's you have suggested.  

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)