Loading ...

What do you enjoy most about coaching and why? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » What do you enjoy most about coaching and why?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

What do you enjoy most about coaching and why?

Subscribe to RSS
  • A colleague asked me today what was my favourite thing about coaching.  Now long term of course it is the improvments we see in people's sporting participation.  But I think in the short to medium term, seeing the way sessions I coach have improved a young person's confidence is wonderful to behold. 

After just a month of winter training - in javelin winter training lasts much longer than the actual season sadly - i've seen one young girl suddenly swap the baggy hoody for a vest at training.  All that hard work has made this young lady feel good about her body for the first time.  What a remarkable impact sport can have on a young person's life and confidence. 

So what do you enjoy most about coaching and why?

· Liz Burkinshaw, Jon Woodward and 4 others like this.

• This is a great question which I think all coaches should be replying to. 

Being a coach making the experience fun and exciting. For me it's Working with new athletes that have never run on track,  jumped in a long jump pit, or throw a javelin, to watch the faces of athletes achieve these things and then to  watch athletes grow over a few weeks of training, entering there first competition, to see parents support there son or daughter cheering the athlete on in competition.  

I have been coaching a local primary school getting  ready for competition a hockey match against other schools,  a week ago was the first competition, as they scored the first goal and saw all the hard work both myself and the children had put in practice, I found tears of proudness rolling down my face saying  I helped coach these children,  a very proud coach as was the head teacher, watching parents supporting the children taking there evening out to give support.    It's not just about winning it's about the all round support and time training with the added win,  trophy or medals.  

The smiles and happiness of a Pb laughing.  The feeling of your own achievements as a coach that all that you learn is put in practice and seeing the results, outcomes.  

· Andy Edwards, David Turner and 1 other like this.

• seeing someones confidence grow so that they can enjoy the session and feel good about themelves. simples. 

· Rob Maaye, David Turner and 1 other like this.

• For me it is seeing the look on their face when they learn a move they couldn't do, something to show their friends and family. The enthusiasm this generates then flows around the group and they all get excited. This is what grass roots sport is about for me.

· Rob Maaye, Andy Edwards and 1 other like this.

• Connecting with people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds.  Learning how to get the best from them and seeing them progress, having fun in a safe and social environment.  Big smiles and a sense of achievement and growing confidence.  Positive feedback from other coaches.

Continual learning from other coaches and workshops, sharing ideas and reading inspirational books on sports psychology, physiology, communication, talent, nutrition, 'Outliers', power etc...

I just love coaching and I'll continue to keep learning, pushing the boundaries and getting better :)

· Rob Maaye, David Turner and 1 other like this.

• The varies for me depending on the age group on environment as I cover quite a range.

I love the 'can-do' attitude of the little ones, the 3-6 year olds. They are less tainted by adults holding them back and have such a wonderful outlook that they can do anything. I frequently see teachers, play workers etc amazed at what such young kids can do. It shows how important is is to empower them at this age and the knock on effect is huge.

I still get such a buzz from the excitement of kids when I turn up at a school. I've really noticed it this week as many haven't seen me for 2 weeks with the half term break. Having a kid tell you that their PE or sport session is what they most look forward to during school time is hugelty rewarding. It's a pretty good way to assess the impact of what you do too. I was told by a 5 year old this week that she admired me, her words! Wow

Lastly, my U17 boys football team. I've worked with them for 4 years now and seeing them grow as young men and watching them interact as a team enthuses me for every session and match. I've attempted to give them as much owndership and responsibility for themselves as possible. I've had 5 of them join me in my day job for work experience and many have also started a coaching pathway. My hope is that many of them continue into an adult role with our club, whether as a coach or player. 

· Rob Maaye, Andy Edwards and 1 other like this.

• This is a brilliant question!

For me, its seeing people achieve their goals, whether short or long term and also seeing them enjoy their participation in skating. For some it might be as simple as having the confidence to skate alone, without a hand to hold, for others mastering a jump and landing it for the first time and for some, its seeing them grow socially, gaining confidence in themselves.

All achievements, small or big make me happy and allow me to realise that I am doing something right in their sporting lives!

· Rob Maaye, Andy Edwards and 3 others like this.

• Gary you've given me a future blog idea there...

'What makes children lose their can do attitude!?'

Thanks

Dave

· Gary Fowler and Kate Offord like this.

• Not a problem David

Give me a shout, it's quite the pet peeve of mine, and have many thoughts!

When a P1 class can do an almost identical session better than a P5 class we knoe the problem is starting in the early years.

Gary

• The constant daily challenge to make a difference to the young person, new, existing or Elite golfer to suit their own particular agenda. The nature of the game and lesson requirements may mean sometimes you have just 30 mins to achieve this vital communication and interaction. It is the building of the confidence and self belief, with the goal ( longer term) for the player to become self sufficient and be their "own coach"

"Every day is different, every day is a learning day" 

· Rob Maaye and Andy Edwards like this.

• Page 1 of 1 (10 items)