Loading ...

are you happy with the cost of coaching? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » are you happy with the cost of coaching?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

are you happy with the cost of coaching?

Subscribe to RSS
  • In my sport (bowls), coaching has historically been purely voluntary, with minimal expenses paid. Coaches have primarily been older bowlers, now retired from full-time work, and coaching locally.

In order to become a recognised sport, with nationwide standards, a framework of courses has been developed. This has necessitated the creation of a tutor workforce to train coaches to the required standards. So far, so good. Very worthy.

Having paid to qualify as a tutor, we receive a fee to cover the expenses of delivering a coaching course. No mileage is paid for the first 200 miles/two hours of travel, no accomodation or meals provided. From the (taxable) "fee" of £120, in addition to delivering the course day(s), we are expected to pay all postage (12 portfolios cost a fortune to post each time!), mileage, meals, course materials, general expenses, provide practical mentoring of candidates between course days and administration/checking of the candidates' portfolios. The net result is that people are very reluctant to travel far (and face an 8-hour training day after 2 hours' driving, setting up, etc), as we are having to subsidise these courses from our own pockets. What is sad is that this means the initial concept of nationwide standards is being undermined.

To add insult to injury, the mileage payment (after the first 200) has now been reduced from 35p to 25p per mile. No consultation. What used to be something we did because we enjoyed it has become an expensive chore.

What are the experiences of people in other sports? Is this the norm?

· Eric Kent, Anthony Taylor and 1 other like this.

• Completely agree and empathise on a lot of ooints here Anthea. For me to do my A licence (level 4 in football coaching) it would be in the region of £6000. In addition to this, I wouldn't be able to do it in my current coaching job, because of already working evenings and not being allowed to work in academies with good players. So massive dilemma! If I left the role to go part time in an academy, I could do the A licence but with what funds....?! Sometimes it seems like those with the best resources and contacts go to the top...!

· Lawrie O'Keeffe and Eric Kent like this.

• Page 1 of 1 (2 items)