Loading ...

What makes a good/effective coach? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » What makes a good/effective coach?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

What makes a good/effective coach?

Subscribe to RSS
  • A couple of blogs “The Ten Habits of Effective Coaches” and “What makes a good coach” were brought to my attention recently. As the titles suggest the authors are listing the habits they feel make a good/effective coach.

What does everyone think makes a good/effective coach?

· David Burgess, Steve Symonds and 3 others like this.

• Hey Rob, Thank you for (re)connecting me to the works of WAYNE GOLDSMITH. Love his writing.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Two great articles, particularly the Ten Habits one.  Thanks for highlighting these Rob. Some really valuable insight and advice. 

I would add to this, a clear understanding by the coach of what his or her aims are.  What is their 'ambition' (you can also think of it as a mission statement).  Steve Jobs wanted to put 'a ding in the universe.' The Lionesses wanted to 'win a tournament and inspire a nation.' So as a coach, what is your ambition? To coach an Olympic winning team/athlete? To inspire an enjoyment of the particular sport in as many people as possible? To unearth and unlock talent? To help promising juniors fulfil their potential'? Etc

Going through this process, and understanding your ambition, can help anchor all the advice about how to be an effective coach, and ensure that you focus your energies and efforts appropriately, in order to excel and reach your ambition.  Spend time getting this right, and it will influence all that you do as a coach.

It would be really interesting to hear how many coaches are clear on this. Anyone willing to share?

· Rob Maaye and Jon Woodward like this.

• I think that some of the discussions in these blogs are quite interesting. THe terms "effective" and "good" are very subjective unless they are defined against pre-set criteria. As mentioned in the second blog, a coach could be the best teacher out there, someone who gets every possible ounce of effort out of his players and creates the best environment...yet not have the winning record that outsiders want. Therefore not considered either effective or good!

As I think about what I would use to define a good/effective coach though, the words that come to mind are humble and humility. A lot of this is covered in these articles but to pull it a bit more together with respect to these 2 words...

• understanding that, no matter what their achievements, there is still more to learn
    • understanding that, no matter their own personal views on their coaching ability, someone else may have a better way of doing things - and to accept that
    • understanding that, no matter how important/superior they think they are, players are just as important in the relationship as they are and to allow them to play their part
     · Rob Maaye likes this.

• I have a similar question, "How do you know you've done a good job as a coach?"

If your goal as a coach is to help your athletes be the best they can be - how do you know you've done that? If they broke a world record, how do you know they couldn't have gone faster? Even if they're never going to be in WR contention, how do you know when they've done the best they could ever have possibly done?

Very similar questions could be asked of any goal you have as a coach.

I don't have the answer to this, but one indicator of how you're progressing as a coach may be if there's a benchmark of how long it takes ON AVERAGE for an athlete to get to various levels (eg state/county, national, international). I don't know of any such benchmarks - do you?

• On 13/04/16 1:06 AM, Barb Augustin said:

I have a similar question, "How do you know you've done a good job as a coach?"

If your goal as a coach is to help your athletes be the best they can be - how do you know you've done that? If they broke a world record, how do you know they couldn't have gone faster? Even if they're never going to be in WR contention, how do you know when they've done the best they could ever have possibly done?

Very similar questions could be asked of any goal you have as a coach.

I don't have the answer to this, but one indicator of how you're progressing as a coach may be if there's a benchmark of how long it takes ON AVERAGE for an athlete to get to various levels (eg state/county, national, international). I don't know of any such benchmarks - do you?

Welcome to the community Barb...great question!

I don't think I can offer an answer or any guidance on any benchmarks out there but I'm sure others in the community might have an opinion. Can I suggest you start a new conversation and see what your fellow community members have to say?

To do that you just  click/press the share button in the menu then ‘start a conversation’. This video demonstrates how.

I would be interested to read the replies you get.

• Page 1 of 1 (6 items)