Loading ...

What about them adapting to us? | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » What about them adapting to us?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

What about them adapting to us?

Subscribe to RSS
  • For the purposes of debate...

...As I read through the threads on this site, one of the overwhelming areas that comes out is related to how, as coaches, we should always be adapting to the player. Be that our coaching style, our activity, how we talk to them etc...

But what about the other way? 

What about players needing to adapt to the coach's way of doing things?

Where is the balance? Does it change with different situations/levels/sports?

· Jon Woodward, Emma Tomlinson and 1 other like this.

• Hi Simon,

Great question. 

I think level has a lot to do with it. I think the higher you get, the more you see the 'my way or the high way' type of attitude from coaches. I think the more you get to participation (grassroot) and getting more people in to sport, the onus is on the coach to retain participants, because frankly, they don't have to be there and you are dealing with a diverse range of partipants. As a higher performance coach you do get unique personalisities, but you tend to have athletes who are driven and focused on improving performance. Also, I think higher performance coaches are given more professional respect from participants and people tend to listen and take on board what a professional tells them... 

Few thoughts on my break.

James

· Emma Tomlinson, Steve Symonds and 2 others like this.

• I wonder with the higher level end, if it is more driven by the profile and the media. A few bad results and the media are usually clammering for the resignation of the coach. Is it more that if that is the case then the coach is thinking that if he/she is going to be held accountable for the team performance then they are all going to do what he/she says? Are we creating these situations where high end coaches are tentative to allow players to express themselves for fear of the backlash?

· Rob Maaye and Jon Woodward like this.

• Another great post Simon - It has to be a balance, as it is with how you coach (notionally command vs guided discovery), and is dependent on so many factors as you as an indivudal coach, who you coach (an individual, a team, and within that team the individuals, the groups within the team) and the goals being aimed for - both your goals and the athletes goals, as well as the level of performance, the sport, the environment

Nobody said coaching would be easy - and it isn't!

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)