Loading ...

Learning by 'osmosis' | Welcome and General

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Learning by 'osmosis'
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Learning by 'osmosis'

Subscribe to RSS
  • Quick thought, has anyone got any research on learning by osmosis? It's often a debate that learning can take place as long as you are in a teaching environment, and that you can learn not necessarily by 'doing'

· Dannielle Starkie likes this.

• I don't know if these two attached papers will be of any use - regarding how coaches learn to coach. They touch on formal vs informal learning etc.

· Rob Maaye and Richard Allen like this.

• This is an interesting topic. You're right, there's A LOT of debate surrounding the topic of 'Learning by Osmosis'.

In my opinion it's difficult to adopt just one method of learning within a sporting setting. Furthermore, I can speak to one player about a certain tactic or how I want him/her to play and they may completely absorb it. On the other hand I could adopt the same method to another player and they would not absorb any information. So if you as a coach can implement various teaching/learning strategies that can ensure that both types of athletes/players can absorb the same amount of info then you're doing your job as coach. Tough job I know!

I do find learning by osmosis really interesting. Personally, I have tried using some methods of psychometric methods within my training sessions - for example I may set up a practice with certain rules and restrictions placed on the practice that may encourage players to attack down the right side. I will not specify this to the players but the session itself encourages it. This is because I want the team to attach down the right during the ficture on the weekend as I know that is an area of weakness of the opposition. Sometimes this can be really effective but not at other time.

· Richard Allen likes this.

• Thanks Dannielle!

• Great comment Sara, would the last statement be attached to learning implicitly then by doing? For example, when players are in the 'flow state' they absorb and retain the most amount of information?

I would say this also from a personal perspective that I learn most on courses by taking part and feeling the practice so to speak! I think this is also linked to supposed 'learning styles' - apparently there isn't any.. which I kind of agree on! More preferences of learning?

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)