Loading ...

Sponsorship advice? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » High Performance Coaching » Sponsorship advice?
Welcome and General

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: High Performance Coaching

Sponsorship advice?

Subscribe to RSS
  • JimNewsome

I'm working with a world class athlete (currently ranked GB No. 2 in his sport/discipline) and we are looking to explore sponsorship opportunities as funding is hard to come by (niche sport...) and the cost of travel to major competitions worldwide is crippling.

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach sponsors, or has anyone used a consultancy they can recommend?

Thanks!

• IanMahoney

I can only talk about what I have found. It all depends on where you live and coach. If you live and/or coach in London, the London mayors Olympic legacy fund can be of great help. If not maybe national lottery funding (only available to athletes expecting to medal at international level).

Apart from that, I don't know Jim but I'm sure another coach would have other ideas.

• I would suggest brainstorming with your athlete - what can they offer a sponsor , what about their media / social media profile ,  there used to be an excellent UK Sport guide which helped athletes create a value proposition and does your governing body have any sport specific guides to working with / approaching sponsors ?

I have been sponsored , managed athlete PR and managed the PR for brands so have an insight into successfully creating campaigns

happy to answer questions and share ideas

• JimNewsome

Many thanks Ian & Alison, some good ideas there. I'll follow up on the suggestions.

Jim

• Working with sporting businesses e.g heath foods, Sporting clothing, gym equipment etc can be advantageous. The smaller and more local the business is the more likely they are to welcome the offer that you make, in terms of giving them publicity/ product placements on social media. Particularly on Instagram, its quite easy to pick up contacts and small sports based companies' intrest, that you may be able to build relationships with. I am in a similar position scouting out sponsors for the NW England U15/U17 Boys Volleyball Programme. Any suggestions for me would be greatly welcomed too :D good luck, A.

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)