Loading ...

Coaching advice to a non coach | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » Coaching advice to a non coach
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

Coaching advice to a non coach

Subscribe to RSS
  • Mimi

Hello,

I have been approached by a member of a local running club asking advice on coaching. Im a L2 BTF Coach.

Last year they took on a small team from a local school to a new running event and next week he will be leading a Cross Country after school club for 10 weeks. He is looking for some coaching advice and to shadow our Tristar sessions.

We have some concerns, this individual is not linked to BTF and does not have any coaching qualifications.

We are quite thin on the ground and dont have the resources/time to coach an 'assistant coach' ultimately attending/shadowing sessions will lead to more involvement and questions

This person does Triathlons but although has shown interest in the club before has never supported before or joined.

He is a member of a local running club, supposedly he should have running coaches where he can go to?

Would appreciate your feedback/point of view.

Thanks

R.

· Rob Maaye and Emma Tomlinson like this.

• Hi Rosie,  

I'm only assuming this individual isn't a level 1 or level 2 coach!  In athletics especially with level 1 qualification a level 2 coach has to present for any training session so the coach is aware of all that is taking place and any issues rising can be dealt with.   

What has to be considered is the individual Dbs checked as most clubs pay for this, if not they need to consider this for themselves as well as the athlete. 

Insurance, is the individual insured to coach the athletes again for there own protection.  When becoming a qualified coach insurance come with the qualification, i personally have also taken an extra insurance out as well as uka insurance.  

Below I have attached a copy of Uka coaching qualification this might help.

• Mimi

Thank you Emma, very helpful! :-)

• I think Rosie for him to get qualified, with young children there's a lot to take into consideration, am very surprised the school is allowing this to happen without the person being qualified as this would void schools insurance and also putting young children at risk as well as themselves. Maybe as a volunteer but still Dbs is still required as well as teachers being present. 

· Bill Mackay likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)