Loading ...

Stepping in or leave alone. Watching your child receive poor coaching | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » Stepping in or leave alone. Watching your child receive poor coaching
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

Stepping in or leave alone. Watching your child receive poor coaching

Subscribe to RSS
  • Advice please for one frustrated parent / coach educator. I take my daughter to the local Rugby Minis for the first session yesterday - oh dear, willing voluntary coaches but 'line-ups', no session structure, coach checking his phone, lots of running ...... more running and in one hour she was given the ball for about a minute in total. Do I step in? What do I say? I struggled to find a positive..... 

· Jon Woodward likes this.

• Hi,

You could ask if he is the usual coach or was he just stepping in at the last minute. Also question on what sort of drills they do and are there any things you can do with them at home. Play a bit dumb to determine how good the sessions are, it could have been a one off. After you know, you can make an informed decision as to whether to leave your daughter in the club, go elsewhere or determine whether to offer your services and provide some help and 

· Rob Maaye, Richard Cheetham and 1 other like this.

• Thanks Rob, really appreciate this - i like the idea of 'playing dumb' and asking what they will be learning today. I think they are so poor that i may end up offering my services.

• This is something I have experienced too. I try to bite my lip and not say anything although with one warm up consisting of 50 kids with one coach running up and down with no ball and then lunging (!) it was difficult...! However I feel as though I need to be a parent for my son at the weekends as I have heard of other parents becoming involved then not actually seeing their own child play which is not what I want to do. In saying that if you do get involved for me it would have to be all or nothing and to be able to run the age group would probably be the answer then you can do what you need to do. Maybe that Coach does not want to do it so you stepping in might be what they are wating for anyway? Alternatively you could ask to talk to the Club Coaching Coordinator or go for the more direct route and ask what the hell they are playing at? You are paying subs which would include an expectation of a certain standard of coaching? If it is a Hampshire Club then you should be able to pull in some favours shouldn't you?!

· Richard Cheetham likes this.

• Thanks Henry, appreciate your comments and sounds like you have had similar experiences. We decided not to continue and are going to look at other activiities and clubs - i had wanted to be involved but rapidly realised i also was venturing into politics too!

• ah yes the club politics.....don't you love it. A real shame it has driven you and your daughter away. I have just written about TGfU on the welcome and general blog section and how not enough coaches embrace it which would create a much more fun and enjoyable and particpant centred environment which you might have been more happy to be a part of.

· Richard Cheetham likes this.

• On 09/11/15 12:05 PM, Henry Dorling said:

ah yes the club politics.....don't you love it. A real shame it has driven you and your son away. I have just written about TGfU on the welcome and general blog section and how not enough coaches embrace it which would create a much more fun and enjoyable and particpant centred environment which you might have been more happy to be a part of.

For those interested click here to read the TGfU blog Henry is referring to.

• Yes read the TGfU blog and an essential element of coaching that is bypassed by even the most willing coaches. Swimming and cycling are now the activities of choice - we shall revisit rugby at some point i am sure but choose a club wisely

· Henry Dorling likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (8 items)