Loading ...

Small Sided Games vs Observational Learning vs Skill Acquisitiion | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » Small Sided Games vs Observational Learning vs Skill Acquisitiion
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

Small Sided Games vs Observational Learning vs Skill Acquisitiion

Subscribe to RSS
  • We typically use a carousel of small sided games in training. We pat ourselves on the back looking at all the touches and involvements that chilren are involved in.

However, I question the technical skill acquisition that is taking place - and I see some players who are not particularly advancing their skills  other than getting older and more experienced. 

Furthermore, I think we may be missing a trick tactically also, where players and teams seldom get the chance to talk tactics, as a team, or as a wider group. 

Anyone done a good job of combining all three?

Some of my own sugestions;

• Games posed as problem solving
    • 3rd team on each pitch - peer coaching or observational learning for waiting group
    • Better questioning techniques - seeking to ask more low consensus questions
    • Central Skill area - only for those player who would benefit from doing so.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

· Lawrie O'Keeffe, Dan Cottrell and 1 other like this.

• On 21/12/15 11:11, Hadon Westerby said:
    • 3rd team on each pitch - peer coaching or observational learning for waiting group.

I try to encourage my players to watch and comment on their peers' performance - I call it "you are the Analyst" (which unfortunately means very little to my young cricketers who would never have seen Simon Hughes on Channel 4's Test match coversge...but that's for another post, altogether).

It seems to work for cricket, where the game itself encourages players to watch others playing. In fact, the structure of the game demands that players become active spectators.

Not sure how well this would apply to other sports, however.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (2 items)