Loading ...

In need of coaches for my successful youth football teams. Should I mentor inexperienced coaches? | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » In need of coaches for my successful youth football teams. Should I mentor inexperienced coaches?
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

In need of coaches for my successful youth football teams. Should I mentor inexperienced coaches?

Subscribe to RSS
  • The teams are U6, U7, U8 and I have coached them all from the beginning. I'm now unable to coach and manage them all during training and match day so have to trust their new coaches to buy in to the playing philoshphy the children have been nurtered with and understand. They have been very successful so far even outpreforming professional academy teams so what sort of coach am I looking for... The coach without experience who can be mentored and moulded in the same way as the children or the coach with experience but will be more stubborn in their own ways?

· Emma Tomlinson and Gary Fowler like this.

• Hi Delaney

a few Q's to help formulate a response 

1. When you say the 3 teams are outperforming professional academy teams, what are your performance measures?

2. Can you explain a little about the club's and/or your own philosophy for the teams?

3. Do you already have interested coaches of the two types you have identified?

· Jon Woodward likes this.

• My initial gut reaction is that mentoring is very much a personal choice, and not one that should be forced onto coaches. The mentee should, in best practice, choose the mentor.

I agree with Gary's questions around what is your philosophy and your measures of success - this will determinte the nature of your questions and give you cery different answers.

The both types of coach you describe may be against mentoring, so you would end up with the same issues. Your club philsophy should be the underpinning foundation for coaches to come into the club to develop your players.

The final question you ask, for me, is one that can only be really answered by you - what kind of coach am looking for.

I will throw a question back to you - what kind of coach is looking for you and your club?

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)