Loading ...

The right sized equipment for your participants! | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » The right sized equipment for your participants!
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

The right sized equipment for your participants!

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hello Everbody,

I just wondered what size/material equipment you use for your participants, based on their age! It could be any sport, in fact I would love to hear from a range of sports. 

· Rob Maaye and Sarah Bennett like this.

• In ice hockey in North America we are finally using ager appropriate equipment and using cross ice and 1/2 ice games in the early years. We still use a full size puck although usa hockey and hockey canada ask to play with a reduced weight puck. Most assosiations just skip it, dumb i know but we are human and change is hard. We have also taken the officials out of the game at the early levels U8 and down. This is significant in playing times being increased and a style that is more grass roots. 

• On 24/09/16 11:03 PM, Tony Libert said:

In ice hockey in North America we are finally using ager appropriate equipment and using cross ice and 1/2 ice games in the early years. We still use a full size puck although usa hockey and hockey canada ask to play with a reduced weight puck. Most assosiations just skip it, dumb i know but we are human and change is hard. We have also taken the officials out of the game at the early levels U8 and down. This is significant in playing times being increased and a style that is more grass roots. 

Nice to get an international point of view, interesting you take officials out entirely? I remember playing with a full-sized soccer ball since i started really, but I am from a previous generation. Looking back i wish I had spent more time with a smaller ball and smaller goals. Not that I would have been a professional, I liked informal sport more than i did formal training.  We had a push in the UK to use age appropriate balls and goals, i was taught by Rick Fenoglio in my first year at Uni, he co-founded Give Us Back Our Game!. Interesting guy, and he's an advocate of small-sided games and so on, but if you get the chance look at 'Give us back our game!,' might be of interest to you.

http://tn.affinitysoccer.com/cachewrite/site/TourPublished/contenteditorupload/6937850/Give%20us%20Back%20our%20Game.pdf

http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=555556.html

• I coach kids cycling in the UK and British Cycling is very strict on the gears that each age group are allowed to use. 

It means that even if you have an adult sized kid each time they do one complete pedal turn in their hardest gear they still only go the same distance as the small kids.

This has 2 advantages:

1) it keeps competitions fair

2) it protects the kids knees, hips, etc from pushing gears that are too hard for them

Some parents don't agree with it but it's about the kids enjoying the competitions and not developing/causing damage that will hinder them in later life.

Hope this helps

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)