Loading ...

What are your tips for managing parents? | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » Managing Parents » What are your tips for managing parents?
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Managing Parents

What are your tips for managing parents?

Subscribe to RSS
  • I recently came across this blog  How to be a Great Team Parent  which include tips for parent conduct, team trip organization, and communication.

Does anyone have any tips/experiences you would be happy to share to help coaches who struggle with managing/engaging with parents?

(I know various content on parents has been shared in the community, such as  Ceri Bowley blog, a video from the CPSU, a great image by @BelievePHQ, a number of conversations and some blogs from Jon Woodward but I’m interested to hear everyone's own experiences)

• Hi Rob,

I think a point that is often missed is perhaps we work for them, rather than the other way round?

Coaching a team became easier for me when I saw the team itself as a collective of players, parents and supporters and then viewed myself as an 'Employee' of that team. (It is not my team, I am their coach).

Like any well run company, if all are in agreement of the direction you want to take and we all play our own part, then we can achieve our agreed goals together? Thankfully, regular meetings prove that the overwhelming majority share the same principles and all I have to to is implement them.

Also, like any employee, if your goals and ambitions differ to those around you, you're free to leave and find an environment to be happy in?

It's a team thing!

Rich

· Rob Maaye, Dan Cottrell and 1 other like this.

• Thanks Rich...some great advice! I've just seen you've posted your latest blog on parents as well which is perfectly timed and another great read! Link here for anyone interested: Parents - Why must this always be a dirty word?

• I think keeping them informed of their child's progress regularly is a must particularly if they are heavily involved in the sport. Often, the parents are spending a lot of money for their child to participate and want "value for money" from your coaching and also your working relationship. Honest and open lines of communication will keep it positive as well as managing their expectations.

Sometimes, i find that the parents want something more than the child ... almost living vicariously through their offspring. What has helped me in these situations is explaining that the child is enjoying their sport, it's health for their mind and body and builds positive habits which can last a lifetime.

· Rob Maaye and Dan Cottrell like this.

• On 12/03/17 10:25 PM, Dannielle Starkie said:

What has helped me in these situations is explaining that the child is enjoying their sport, it's health for their mind and body and builds positive habits which can last a lifetime.

Some great advice as always Dannielle...I've just listened to a podcast this morning where the parents being described could have done with hearing your words!

· Dannielle Starkie likes this.

• On 17/02/17 11:59 AM, Rob Maaye said:

(I know various content on parents has been shared in the community

Just going to add to this thread an interesting new blog posted by Dan Cottrell which is a here's how guide to sack a parent!

• robertkmaaye
    On 17/02/17 11:59 AM, Rob Maaye said:

(I know various content on parents has been shared in the community,

Adding this new UK Coaching Talking Talent 'Working with parents of young performance athletes' video to the thread that I just shared in the Coaching Youth 13-18 group

• Page 1 of 1 (7 items)