Loading ...

Children and drug enhancement. Does your child take drugs? | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » Managing Parents » Children and drug enhancement. Does your child take drugs?
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Managing Parents

Children and drug enhancement. Does your child take drugs?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Well guys hope this is something you can chew through, your views on this subject would be fantastic.  I have asked the parent would he mind if I had a conversation and shared this with other coaches. Reply was yes. 

Tonight I received an email from a child's parent I used to coach asking for advice, I was extremely shocked at the email as I know how much time, effort the 11 year old athletes put into his sessions and being an all round athletes he always put 100% into all training  sessions.  This was the email I received.  

Hi Emma

Have a read of the note below and let me know what you think from a coaching perspective. To be honest it blew my mind a bit when (wife) Amanda told me. Felt I had to send it to his swim coaches. "I haven't had a random update from a swim meet for a while, so here's today's from Ernehale... Amanda's been asked by a couple of people today

1. Is Matthew using caffeine to enhance his performance? Simple answer is no, expect for where it is naturally occurring in foodstuffs and we've don't do the fizzy pop thing except the odd can of Coke after open water swims.

2. Is he using steroids? This one really amused me, but seriously! He lives on pasta and good old fashioned meat and two veg. And a staggering amount of sleep!!!

I have known the athletes parents for a number of years now and I know how much time both parents put into Matthews training sessions, as well as taking time out of training to have fun and relax. 

Please your thoughts on this please let's get this conversation going. 

• Hi Emma,

Sounds to me like a bit of a reaction to all the press attention to the topic mixed with a fundamental misunderstanding of the doping process.  I think we would probably expect to see more like that going forward.  I'm keen to put more safeguarding information together for coaches on the topic - to help them explain the situation to athletes and parents as much as anything else.

Best wishes

Dave

· Emma Tomlinson likes this.

• Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your comment,  nice to see a comment, I have taken the UKA anti doping course last year and found it very useful and interesting  and knowing that if your athletes are using some form of drug or medication that you have the knowledge to use the wada site and find the relevant information for both yourself as a coach  and athletes. As you say it could be due to the current news reports,  I know that problems like this could happen however extremely shocked to think parents are happy to make a judgement on such a young athlete. In my current job I'm learning more about drug awareness  I feel there should be more information out there for parents so they have a better understanding and knowledge of drug use what signs to look for and to help keep children safe. 

Regards. EM 

Thank you again Dave.  Let me know what new information you come up with. 

• On 18/03/16 8:13 PM, Emma Tomlinson said:

I have taken the UKA anti doping course last year and found it very useful and interesting  and knowing that if your athletes are using some form of drug or medication that you have the knowledge to use the wada site and find the relevant information for both yourself as a coach  and athletes

If anyone else is interested in taking the UKAD Coach Clean elearning course here is a link to it http://www.ukad.org.uk/coach-clean

· Emma Tomlinson likes this.

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)