Loading ...

Coaching insurance - recommendations | Coaching Adults

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » All other topics on coaching adults » Coaching insurance - recommendations
Coaching Adults

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other topics on coaching adults

Coaching insurance - recommendations

Subscribe to RSS
  • All,

I'm a level 2 triathlon coach and head coach for a club. Club members have asked many times to be coached on a 1-2-1 basis but as a level 2 coach the governing body won't cover me. I've tried to get on level 3 courses which would provide cover without success and no feedback as to what I need to do to get on a course. I'm a bit frustrated by this I was thinking of going it alone.

Given that my NGB does not approve of my coaching 1-2-1 for club members, does anyone have experience of taking out insurance that provides cover even though you may not be approved at the national level?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

· Ian Mahoney likes this.

• I am a level 2 endurance running coach.

as L2 can coach under supervised and as a volunteer  (not even taking expenses) I  coach a couple of athletes at grass roots level individually and also as well as them in a group at the club.

It will be interesting what other members have to say. I've never be questioned whether I'm legal or not? 

· Deborah Bray likes this.

• Ian,

No one has asked me about whether I am legally qualified, but the club ensures only qualified coaches coach members and the rules are followed.
    I'm more concerned about the consequences of someone having an accident of some kind and the club or me becoming liable.

We can correct an individuals technique, we can coach groups as small as three. So I can work with 3 people but not each of those same people individually. Rules say so and insurance applies on that basis.

• Hi Gordon

I had a look this morning at the sports that sports coach UK Gold or Silver membership covers and triathlon is one of them. I'm not familiar with the specifics but the insurance may include the type of one to one cover you are looking for. If it was something that interested you I would give them a call to check the specifics (0113-290-7612). There are some good reviews as well (I've also seen a few members bring it up in other conversations) so coaches seem to rate the cover provided.

Hopefully other members will share their experiences/advice with you

Cheers

Rob

• Rob,

Thanks for that. I've written to Sports Coach UK and I'll post the result back here. But there must be people here who coach on a 1-2-1 basis in some sports so I am keen to here what they do.

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• Hi Gordon,

i am very surprised that your governing body does not consider a L2 as a fully qualified coach and considers you unable to coach unsupervised. Where athletics is concerned, that is the whole point of getting your L2 and above.  As a personal choice, I also take out Sports Coach  UK basic insurance to doubly cover myself as this will cover me to coach outside the club in schools for example.  As for 1-2-1 coaching, I regularly do this with some of my athletes if necessary and take the precaution of getting written permission.  I cannot see why going it alone would be a problem. I suggest contact the insurance dept at SportsCoach UK and see what they say. 

• Deborah,

Slight correction to this, I can coach unsupervised but not on a 1-2-1 basis.  I am waiting for Sports Coach UK to respond as initial enquires needed more investigation. I'll report back when they respond.

• For those who coach Triathlon, I thought I'd share this response from Ironman who will qualify you to coach athletes for their races. But if you do - you are on your own. So the qualification is of uncertain value.

Hello Gordon,

Our apologies, we do not provide insurance.

Regards

IRONMAN U Team

• Hi

the NGB will set the criteria on how and who you can coach ratio wise depending on your coaching award and even if you did get insurance to sound as though it covered you to do 1 to 1 work i would question it.

I recommend getting in touch with Coach Ed at HQ and also with your local regional manager to register your interest in a level 3 coaching award as they do put on at least 2 a year.

I hope that helps

Di 

• Thanks for that DI,

I have registered twice, but I was told I was unsuccessful both times. I did not bother this year as it seemed pointless. There is no feedback as to what I would need to do to get on a course so I have no idea what I need to do to get to the right standard. They do look at how many coaches are in each area so it may be down to protectionism.

In terms of experience I have nearly 1000 hours of coaching, I finished 20th in the world in 2015 and I held a national title last year. I work training and coaching apprentices for a living but that is in IT.

It's around £1800 for the course and then there is accommodation and travel costs on top. I can get some local grants to assist but even so it is still expensive. 

So not being able to get on a course and the course being expensive I'm looking at alternatives.

• On 03/03/17 08:59 AM, Gordon Stutchbury said:

I have registered twice, but I was told I was unsuccessful both times. I did not bother this year as it seemed pointless.

Hi.  You are clearly qualified to go onto the course Gordon, but the L3 courses are always oversubscribed.  You should have applied and iterated that this was your third attempt to get on a course.  That would have helped I reckon.

What other sports don't realise is that British Triathlon only allows L3's to coach 1-2-1.  I couldn't either until I was a L3 - BUT, there were a few guys on my L3 course that had been coaching 1-2-1 for a number of years.  They got around this by starting out as Personal Trainers.  Most of them were L3 PTs and so able to coach 1-2-1 under that qualification.

As you are a level 2 British Triathlon coach, unless you have any other coaching qualifications I would suggest that you hold off going alone or coaching 1-2-1 as you wont be covered insurance wise.  You could of course just go for it but you will then be leaving yourself open to problems down the line.

Not ideal for you I know but it's just a much needed part of running a business yourself.  For instance, I wouldn't be able to use any of the venues I use without the insurance - and proof of it.  Your club has this element covered I imagine so it isn't an issue for you at this point.

Good luck though and I hope things work out for you.

· Maha El Nasser, Georgia Jackson and 1 other like this.

• Thanks Gavin.

• Are you aware coaching levels 1-5 no longer exist, UKA changed the pathway in 2010 and ammeded with slight changes in 2012.

The graph can be found on the website(s)

My coaching secretary pointed out, this why you haven't been successful on getting a level 3 course, It just not exist!

• Hi Ian

Gordon is talking about insurance as a British Triathlon coach - NOT as a UK Athletics coach.  Two different bodies.  Coaching pathway exists under British Triathlon up to level 3.

• Hi folks, 

I got a response from scUK  :

"Our Insurance Brokers have confirmed that you will only be covered if coaching within the remit of your qualification.".

So the answer for me is to find batches of 3 or more people and carry on under the free cover I have.

I can correct technique 1-2-1 and I can offer nutrition advice and all the other good stuff, but when it comes to season planning I can't do 1-2-1. But I could do it 1-2-3.

So I can impact a group but not an individual.  The insurance underwriters seem happy with that.

· Amanda Hoynes likes this.

• Further to this,  https://www.protectivity.com have stated with 3 years experience I can be insured to do 1-2-1 coaching with £10M cover for £81.

I've not actually read their policy yet.

From their FAQ:
    Q. What sports am I allowed to teach ?
    A. We will cover you for any of our listed sports, on the basis that you hold a relevant qualification which allows you to teach the sport. If you do not hold a formal qualification but have at least 3 years experience, please call us on 01494 887 909 and we can see if we accommodate your needs.

I hope this helps others.

· Rob Maaye and Amanda Hoynes like this.

• Ian - whilst lots of clubs have their own rules about charging and expenses, your uka insurance will cover you regardless:

"Whether a coach is paid or unpaid is not relevant, the cover applies providing the Coach or Leader is acting within the terms of a current pass and licence. "

http://ucoach.com/assets/uploads/files/UKA_Insurance_for_Coaches.pdf

• Hello, 

I am a level 2 equestrian coach and I coach 1-2-1; obviously my sport is inherently risky and insurance is vital.  My governing body British Horse Society, does offer insurance; however you are required to jump through hoops to do this and the saving isnt that great.  I personally get insurance privately through companies such as KBIS, SEIB, Shearwater.  I understand that these are quite sport specific so may not be of use to you but I do feel most coaches (even equestrian ones) don't even think about insurance requirements!

Hopefully that may have been some help.

Jade  

· Gordon Stutchbury likes this.

• Is there a coaching company that you could join and then tell your athletes to register through them. There are a  few triathlon coaching companies who hire Level 2 coaches. They are then covered under the company insurance as technically they are working under a Level 3 coach to deliver the coaching.

• It's a good idea, but I'm not sure I want to work for someone else.

• Hi Gordon

Just picked this thread up and wanted to let you know that the BTF is shortly to introduce a level 2+ course which will allow 121 coaching with their valid insurance. You may have seen it already in their coaches newsletters.

Cheers

Justin

• Thanks Justin.
    I think this came out of some discussions I had with them. Firstly I spoke directly with their insurers who said "Yes we can cover you" and this created a bit of an issue ans the BTF came back and said "No they would not".
    I then found an insurer who would insure me outside of their scheme and sent them the details and the quote.

I think they realised they needed to do something and the 2+ scheme came out of that.

I always wanted to support the NGB and am pleased they are doing this, sometimes they need a nudge to keep up todate.

I'm registered with them for the 2+ course in order to support them.

• On 17/10/17 1:23 PM, Gordon Stutchbury said:

Thanks Justin.
    I think this came out of some discussions I had with them. Firstly I spoke directly with their insurers who said "Yes we can cover you" and this created a bit of an issue and the BTF came back and said "No they would not".
    I then found an insurer who would insure me outside of their scheme and sent them the details and the quote.

I think they realised they needed to do something and the 2+ scheme came out of that.

I always wanted to support the NGB and am pleased they are doing this, sometimes they need a nudge to keep up todate.

I'm registered with them for the 2+ course in order to support them.

This has been raised with BTF a number of times by lots of coaches I know (I've fed back this frustrating limitation of the current L2/L3 system in tri coaching a number of times, compared to say other sports) - I too am a L2 Tri coach in the same situation. The Level 2 diploma/ Level 2+ that they've just announced looks perfect for this, as I can't wait to get stuck in with some individual athlete coaching. As you say, the demand is out there. I too have registered my interest and maybe I'll see you at one of the courses once they happen!!

• Page 1 of 1 (23 items)