Loading ...

Altering the Social Norm for good | Coaching Adults

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » Understanding Behaviour Change » Altering the Social Norm for good
Coaching Adults

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Understanding Behaviour Change

Altering the Social Norm for good

Subscribe to RSS
  • Social norms can influence behaviour change. Social norms are defined as the common means of behaviour in society. For example, we Brits love to queue, have cold milk with our cereal and enjoy coffee breaks. Norms are often influenced by the context we are in and can be positive or negative. Importantly though social norms can be broken or changed. Phew!!! When it comes to sport Dick Fosbury broke the norm and decided the best way to improve in the high jump was to jump over backwards. Today that is still the social norm. (In another 50 years time will it still be the norm.)

Anyway I digress. Take a minute to think about social norms when it comes to new members taking up physical activity/sport within your club/organisation? What are the social norms in existence? Do you meet and greet new participants? Do you take the time to begin to understand their motivations? Essentially are you making it easy and attractive for them to turn up? I would love to hear how you connect with new participants and involve them to enjoy physical activity.

· Liz Burkinshaw, Blake Richardson and 1 other like this.

• Hi Sion

Found a piece of research that supports your post above - a good piece of research that is clear and concise!

Is healthy behavior contagious: associations of social norms with physical activity and healthy eating

Happy reading!

Kate

· Liz Burkinshaw and Sion Kitson like this.

• lesf731

It amazes me that coaches at my club don't ask beginners about why they have come and what they want to get out of being here and use this to build on in their sessions.  They just assume they know why they are there and what they want.

Taking the step to ask, understand and personalise sessions and learning would be a huge help to connecting people with the sport, the club and sustaining their participation.

• In case you can't get the link through the message:

https://ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1479-5868-7-86

• Thanks Kate. I shall add to my list. Totally agree Les. Sometimes I think coaches are on auto pilot and it doesn't come into their heads.

· Liz Burkinshaw likes this.

• For myself the initial meet and greet, for all participants, not just new ones, is absolutley critical for not just setting an open tone to a session, but to also gain insight into the persons day and how this may impact their motivations and behaviours. The social norm within my club sessions is to have an informal activity set-up on arrival and to have a quick 'hello, hows your day been?' chat on the way through. It amazing what you can find out in 20-30 seconds!

· Liz Burkinshaw and Sion Kitson like this.

• Page 1 of 1 (6 items)