Loading ...

There must be something better than "Man up!" | Inclusive Coaching

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Inclusive Coaching » Forum » Coaching Women » There must be something better than "Man up!"
Inclusive Coaching

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Women

There must be something better than "Man up!"

Subscribe to RSS
  • A challenge to you all and something I would like to debate - when coaching a women or girls football, hockey, rugby, or any invasion based team sport can we come up with a better term than "Man up!" when a player may come under pressure?
    I think the term has to be two words, each word one syllable in length (for speed of saying it) but surely we are bright enough to have a better word then "Man" in a women's/girl's setting?
    Let the debate begin.........

· Steven Bentall likes this.

• I hate 'man up' #cringe

Surely its about making decisions under pressure so something like

'decision time'

or maybe we could not shout at players at all when theyre playing the game... #controversial

· Andy Edwards, Emma Tomlinson and 2 others like this.

•   Answered

Interesting debate Colin. I think it's about what is acceptable is society and particular cultures. For instance, I use the term 'guys' to describe a group of people regardless of their gender - no one has ever challenged this, but everytime I find myself using it I do always have a moment of questioning 'correctness'...

· Colin Bennett and Emma Tomlinson like this.

• I'm with you on the cringe of hearing it said but in a team game where a team mate will come under pressure and not realise it then a fellow team mate (not the coach) has to warn them. So agree with not shouting at players during a game - all the coaches' work should have been done at training - but talking is such a part of the game that we need something.

• I likewise use "guys" in any group setting BUT was challenged last season by a player who said we are not guys we are girls. But we encourage the girls to speak up on anything that is not socially acceptable so more than happy to realise my coaching works on many different levels.

· Steven Bentall and Emma Tomlinson like this.

• I've only ever used the term Man up but like everyone else it's really insinuating that when in a girls environment you should be like a man,  look up the word Man up for different definitions it quite surprising how people define the word Man up.  Urban dictionary is a good place to look. 

Maybe use the word " Be Strong 💪 " .This makes players feel powerful when they hear the word.  Strong. 

I also use the word warrior with primary school children as children  see vikings as strong whilst in the battle field. They love the word warrior.

• If by 'Man Up' you mean 'Man On' where a player from the other team is closing down a team mate (must be a North/South thing). I have always challenged players to give more usful information making the use of the word 'Man' non existent.

I would encourage my players to say 'left shoulder', 'rigth shoulder', 'tight behind' etc..  allowing a player to know they have applying pressure on that sidein a certain way allowing them to make a more educated decsion on what to do.

I find the term 'Man On' normally just causes panic and poor decsuon making

• Colin I think you opened up a Pandora's Box! 

Many of the phrases I can think of will have both a negative and positive slant depending on the perception of listener. Even innocent phrases such as "come on" or "keep going" can encourage sustaining effort and performance whilst also it can also maybe suggesting they are not performing to the required level. How do you overcome this?

My challenge to any coach is to say nothing! Do we need to say anything, and if we remain silent could it encourage some creativity to get themselves out of the pressurised situation?

· Rob Maaye likes this.

• I agree from a coaching stance that we should remain as quiet as possible - coaching should be done at training and not pitch/track side - but what I'm looking for is a phrase that I can coach my players to say when they are on the pitch. So a team mate comes under pressure what do the other girls call out to warn her? That's my challenge to you all as I agree a player should be encouraged to have creativity in themselves to get out of situations - but how do the other players warn them they're in that situation!

• Page 1 of 1 (9 items)