Loading ...

Any top tips? | Inclusive Coaching

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Inclusive Coaching » Forum » Coaching Women » Any top tips?
Inclusive Coaching

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Women

Any top tips?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Having coached primarily males aged 18-21 (Uni students) for 10 years - with a bit of Senior ball thrown in concurrently as well for a few years in the middle - I have now ventured into female coaching. 

I am realising that while many things are the same, there are also lots of subtle differences. For example the women look for a greater understanding of what they are doing - with the Uni studnets, if you say to do something they just do it. 

While I agree that there is no golden ticket to the 'right way' I am wondering if anyone has some general top tips from their experiences that they could share?

• Ric Charlesworth (coach of the australian women's hockey team 93 to 2000) said if you make a comment to a group of men, they will all think you're talking about someone else. Make the same comment to a group of women and they will all think you're talking about them! I also agree with you that women are usually more focused on correct technique. Despite all of the above,  these are generalisations and should be a starting point only - indivdualise as you get to know your players. Good luck! 

• Hi Simon,

Being a coach of a university archery club, I have had to deal with very different people and different abilities.

With coaching different genders, I have found that the main difference is to help them focus on the basics (as with any beginner I coach), then work on other areas, also keeping a moderatly light humour can also help, but that is part of the atmosphere of an archery club.

Otherwise, there are not many differences.

Hope that helps

· Sharon Sanchez likes this.

• Hi Simon

You might find this 'Coaching Women Myth Buster' post by Sarah Milner useful.

I look forward to reading other peoples experiences and tips!

Cheers

Rob

· Simon Browning likes this.

• Hi Simon, interesting you should write there is no ‘golden ticket’. The article I wrote with Liam McCarthy stressed the point that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to coaching women. You might find Liam’s research useful.. Separating fact from fiction: There are no ‘golden rules’ to coaching women. Thanks, Blake.

· Simon Browning likes this.

• I appear to have lost a week somewhere!!

Anyway - thanks for posting that. When I was writing the original post it was something that popped into my head and I couldn't think where I had seen it before!

• Page 1 of 1 (6 items)