Loading ...

Coaching with a smile, How do you coach make disabilities sports engaging | Inclusive Coaching

We use cookies to improve this online community and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Inclusive Coaching » Forum » Other topics relating to Inclusive Coaching » Coaching with a smile, How do you coach make disabilities sports engaging
Inclusive Coaching

Leave group

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Public Group
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Other topics relating to Inclusive Coaching

Coaching with a smile, How do you coach make disabilities sports engaging

Subscribe to RSS
  • The highlights of my working week is being given the opportunity to be able to work and coach disability sports on a Wednesday night. 

On Wednesdays I work with special Olympics young adults from 11 to 18 years, these guy's are so motivated, polite have great personalities and most of all they always have a great big  smile to greet you with. Many having More than one disability from blindness, deafness, cerebral palsy and down syndrome.  Yet not one of there disabilities stops them from taking part. 

Over the passed couple of Wednesdays I have played some really engaging games with them from scatter ball cricket to tag games, just watching there faces each time they hit the ball was priceless,  every time they took a tag they became excited,  again priceless to see there faces and knowing that they had achieved the goal which was to either hit a ball with the bat or getting a tag from the opposite team. 

How do you engage your sessions with disabilities. ? 

How do you make sessions fun and exciting? 

· Rob Maaye likes this.

Attachments
  • Hi Emma

sounds like great fun all round and I am sure it is helping you develop your own coaching skills. So many coaches I speak to say that coaching disabled people helps them extend their own skills of differentiation and they learn so much from it.

I think your comment about the people you are coaching reaching their goals is fundamentally important. To do this a coach has to have the same conversation with anyone they coach: why are you here? what do you want to achieve for yourself.

Disabled people are individuals as much as non disabled people and everyone grows when they achieve their own personal best!

· Emma Tomlinson likes this.

• Your quite right Sarah. I have developed immensely as a coach especially with children / adults with disabilities.  When I started coaching with special Olympics to be honest I was pretty scared but they was so welcome and put me at ease I just went with the flow it's was as if I had been coaching these guy's for years  

There is a Cpd course I'm wishing to go on in September of  this year for coaching disability sports hope I can get on it. 

Hopefully this week I can get a picture of the special Olympics team with permission from parents post on here,  so proud of them all for achieving such great things.  

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)